Jan 21, 2010

A good thing gets better.


I don't know about you but I have serious mom guilt. I don't have the time to do all the things I want to do or teach my kids all the things I want to. I don't always talk to them the way I know I should. And I definitely don't always make the wisest food choices.

But thanks to my already favorite cereal maker, I'm getting a little help in that area.

General Mills has announced a commitment to further reduce sugar in cereals advertised to kids under 12 to single digit grams of sugar per serving. The company has already been reducing sugar in cereals while increasing key nutrients, such as calcium and vitamin D, and providing whole grain.


Did you know that ready-to-eat cereal eaters consume less fat, less cholesterol and more fiber than non-cereal eaters? Cereals also deliver important vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients, making cereal a top source of key nutrients in children’s diets.

Other cereal benefits:
  • Ready-to-eat cereals, including presweetened cereals, account for only 5% of sugar in children’s diets.
  • Ready-to-eat cereal is the No. 1 source of whole grains in a child’s diet today.
  • More frequent cereal eaters tend to have healthier body weights and lower Body Mass Index measures.

Studies also demonstrate the benefits of eating breakfast. A 1998 study showed that children who eat breakfast tend to perform better at school. Compared to children who skip breakfast, children who eat breakfast score higher on tests, are less likely to miss class or be tardy, have fewer reported discipline problems, and make fewer trips to the office.

For more information about kids and cereals, please visit Cereal Health and Wellness.

Thanks to General Mills and MyBlogSpark I was able to purchase a few of our favorite cereals at my favorite price (yay free) and the boys couldn't resist trying a new selection too, Chocolate Cheerios. Does that seem almost like an oxymoron? I didn't try them...yet! But the kids like them just as much the other faves.

So go ahead, pour them a bowl a cereal, sit back for a moment and don't feel guilty.

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Intersting info. we actually dont have cereal in the house for the kiddos, but instead do breakfast bars and yogurt for on the go stuff.

    I just may have to change that in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually fairly sure I could live off cereal... All good things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love cereal around here. Dare I admit that it is sometimes what is eaten for dinner? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im so glad to hear this as it is one of our favorite foods at this house!

    found you from Friday Follow!

    I think I will hang around a bit

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment!!