Apr 16, 2010

We're Not Kidding! A Tribute to Barry Louis Polisar review



Oh my gosh, this 2 CD set is great. My boys LOVE it and will hound me to play whenever we're in the car. (I'm lazy and don't usually use CD's in the house when I want music.)

Some of their absolute favorites are:
~Don't Put Your Finger Up Your Nose
~Doo-Doo is a Bad Word

Have I mentioned before that boys love bodily function humor like I can not believe? They were cracking up at this CD!!

There are also some less obviously funny songs that you have to pay closer attention to to catch. I personally love those because I find it hilarious when my kids give pause and go "hey wait if he 'almost' always caught the baby when he threw her up, that means sometimes he didn't" and then crack up!!!

And there is a huge variety of styles of music on this set which I love. It's definitely a keeper in our book!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You've heard him singing"All I Want is You" in the opening credits of the hit film JUNO...but songwriter Barry Louis Polisar has actually been singing for children and families for 35 years, releasing his first record, "I Eat Kids and Other Songs for Rebellious Children," in 1975.

Now, some of those rebellious children he used to entertain--many from New York--have banded together and released a 2-CD, 60-song, tribute album of his songs called "We're Not Kidding! A Tribute to Barry Louis Polisar."

These aren't your typical Barney/Wiggles/Raffi type songs. With titles like "Never Cook Your Sister in a Frying Pan" and "My Brother Threw Up on My Stuffed Toy Bunny," Barry's off-the-wall songs are re-invented into totally new genres; an Irish band covers Barry's song "Potty Training," and a Klezmer band sings "Don't Put Your Finger Up Your Nose" -- in Yiddish!

"It's great fun for me to hear my songs re-created this way," Polisar said. "Having my song in 'Juno' was great--but this is even better."

The project is the brain child of Aaron Cohen, lead singer of the LA punk band The Radioactive Chicken Heads. Aaron had Barry's albums as a child and claims him as his biggest influence.

The 2-CD set is now available from iTunes, Amazon.com and CDbaby.com. It will be officially released on April Fools Day. Hear free samples on Barry’s web site: http://www.barrylou.com/tributeAlbum.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment!!