Oct 11, 2011

Family Watchdog

I thought I'd take a little time today to share with you a site I have been using for a few years that hopefully you don't have a lot of use for, but I'm sure some, like my family could really use this information.

Family Watchdog is the best site I have personally found for tracking registered sex offenders in your area.  You enter your information and can see a list or map of all the local registered offenders.  I know there are other sites out there that do this but I haven't yet found a site that is as comprehensive. Family Watchdog includes the offenders information and photo as well as the crime they were convicted of including their age at conviction and the victims age.  This helps avoid the story of I was 18 and she was 17.  You can also have the site notify you if an offender moves in your area.  So you automatically get an email when a registered offender either moves out of or into your area.

Like I said, I hope this information is pretty much useless to you.  But unfortunately we have SEVEN offenders living within a block of our house and 5 within a couple blocks of our kids school (and these are overlapping groups!)

I know this isn't a happy, cheery subject but today when an email arrived in my inbox that a new offender had moved into my area, I wondered how many of the people in my area are completely unaware of this danger.  I can't realy spend my life going door to door sharing this news with all those that live around us.  But then my mind went to those I knew I could help make aware. 

Have you used this site, or one like it?  If you have one you use please share it with me in the comments and let me know how it compares to Family Watchdog.

Disclosure: I am in no way affiliated with this site but just felt compelled to share this information with you all.

4 comments:

  1. This is such a scary topic. I hate that these people could live near me and my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So scary! Thanks for the website. I'll definitely be checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my last home, I did a search of some kind and there wasn't anybody in my neighborhood, but definitely a ton of them in my town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can check through our Sheriff's department website. We checked before we made an offer on the house, and recheck periodically. You can't be too careful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment!!