Jul 19, 2012

Celebrate SPAM®'s 75th Anniversary with #HormelFamily!




This July, the SPAM® brand is celebrating its 75th anniversary! Since its introduction in 1937, more than 7 billion cans of SPAM® have been produced around the world! To celebrate this milestone year, and their birthday on July 5, the brand introduced two new limited edition flavors – jalapeño & black pepper. The brand will be ringing the closing bell at the New York Stock Exchange on July 10th and hosting a community celebration in Austin, MN on July 28. The first ever spokescharacter, Sir Can A-Lot™ also helps families introduce SPAM® products into ho-hum meals in surprising ways. You can watch him in action here: http://www.youtube.com/user/SPAMbrand.

When it was introduced nearly 75 years ago, SPAM® Classic served the needs of families who were looking to serve nutritious and filling meals, even when basic ingredients might have been scarce or not affordable due to the World War. SPAM® also played a crucial role overseas during World War Two. Hormel Foods provided 15 million cans of food to Allied Forces in Europe each week. Today, SPAM® products are sold today in more than 44 countries, including China, Japan, England, Korea, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the Philippines.

Favorite SPAM® dishes found around the world include:
  •  USA: SPAMBURGER® Hamburger
  • Hawaii: SPAM™ Musubi & SPAM™ Katsu
  • U.K.: SPAM™ Sandwich, SPAM™ Salad or SPAM® Fritters
  •  Philippines: SPAM® with eggs or rice
  • Korea: SPAM™ Kimchi
  • China: SPAM® Hotpot

Within the U.S., Hawaii is the largest consumer of SPAM® products. This year marked the 10th anniversary of the Waikiki SPAM JAM® Festival, a festival where Hawaiians illustrate the various different, and creative, ways that you can cook and serve SPAM®. The event is hosted each April by local event coordinators, and sponsored, in part, by Hormel Foods. Each year local restaurants set up booths to show-off their most-creative and mouth-watering SPAM® recipe creations.

Follow all the action as the official birthday quickly approaches at SPAM online as well as SPAM on Facebook and SPAM on Twitter.

In addition, we're asking fans to help us celebrate our 75th Anniversary by baking a cake for our birthday on July 5th. Fans can simply upload their photo of their cake to our wall and the first 25 will win a Sir Can-A-Lot T-shirt. This runs now until July 4th. Find all the exciting details here: http://ow.ly/bTPKN. ASK

The most popular ways to consume SPAM® products in the U.S. include SPAM® and eggs, SPAMBURGERS® and Mac ‘n Cheese ‘n SPAM®. Have you ever tried SPAM®? If so, do you have favorite recipes?


I have to admit I am a sucker for SPAM. I just fry it and dip it ranch.  When the craving for some got to be too much recently I grabbed some SPAM Lite and was pleased with how much less fat was in it.  I couldn't believe that there was none of the slimy goop in the can and there was no noticeable grease in the pan after frying it either.

I know I gross out a lot of people when I talk about my love for SPAM.  But my boys love it too.  Thankfully they love it enough that it limits how much is left for me. Because I could seriously just sit down and eat a whole can worth. 


So come one, I can't be the only one...can I?  Anyone else like SPAM????



Disclosure: In the spirit of full-disclosure, I’ve partnered with Hormel Foods as part of the Hormel Foods Extended Family Blogger Program. Throughout the year I’ll be receiving product, coupons, giveaways and promotions. However, no payment was given or expected for posting about the program, and as always, all opinions given here are fully my own

1 comment:

  1. Yep, I like SPAM too! It has to be cooked to a crisp outside when I eat it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment!!