Aug 30, 2012

Why I Blog

Trisha, from MomDot is hosting another carnival on her blog this week.  She's asking bloggers to share why they blog.  

So here's why I blog....
I blog to make the life of my family better.

Yup, vague, right?  Because I honestly have a lot of very different motivations for blogging but they really all can be summed up in that statement.  I started blogging to share my kids with family who didn't live in our area.  That made our family better.  But then I learned of the fabulous community of bloggers and grew amazing friendships, learned and experienced personal growth as a result of blogging. THAT totally made my family better.

These days I blog for many reasons. If you look closely at each individual post here on my blog, you can probably see the motivation in each of them.  But I still blog for community. I read the blogs of many people I love. Its really no different than keeping up on Facebook, its just another platform.  I love watching families change and grow. I love witnessing the high points and being able to offer a shoulder (even if it is a virtual one) in the low points.  And getting to actually see my online friends in person...that is always a blast.  Keeping these healthy adult friendships makes me a better person and it also makes me a better mama!

But I also blog for the experiences. I am NOT a home body. I love to be out and about. But for the most part my budget isn't as travel ready as I am, so blogging has afforded myself and my family some amazing opportunities to create memories we NEVER would have had otherwise.  Hello....meeting Oprah(link to photographic proof)!! I didn't get paid a cent to work on that campaign (actually spent some money on the travel downtown) but so totally worth the time!  And there are so so many more experiences like that. I don't plan to give up on blogging for memories anytime soon!!


And, finally, yes, I have gotten to the point where I blog for financial gain. I promise I will never blog about something I don't honestly support.  But brands are seeing some value in my time, talent and influence and I am not in the position to be above making money while doing something I love.  I would love to someday be able to blogging and social media related pursuits as my only gig. But for now, I'm enjoying the extra help I'm getting supporting my family from some paid campaigns.  It will help my family continue to be able to afford the sports and other things we might otherwise be looking at giving up. 

I fully believe I'm making my family better by blogging.
How about you??


19 comments:

  1. fantastic post!I missed that you met oprah I think...what was that for? Really cool!

    trisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added the link to the photo of myself and other bloggers with her. We did the local Chicago tapings of the web show after her first weeks of Oprah's Lifeclass. (Kind of like what Jessica did but on a smaller local scale)

      Delete
  2. We blog for alot of the same reasons. I felt like I heard my voice when reading your post. ALTHOUGH, I have not met anyone famous! LOL. I started blogging for family on blogspot, moved to my own site and love it. I would love to do more traveling with the opportunity the the blogging provides.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I believe blogging is making my family better in some ways. I do not only blog, as I have a couple other businesses, so all my work at home endeavors take up huge amounts of time so part of me feels I am missing out, even though I am with my children all day. If that makes sense. I want more time to be and less time on the computer. That's the point I am at. Just have to figure out how to reverse it, 'cause things are a little out of order around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing to be at a point that you can blog for financial gain though, right? I also blog to make my family's life better. I think you hit the nail on the head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing. To get paid for something you truly love...it should really be the goal in life for everyone!!

      Delete
  5. My blogging story is pretty much the same as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your reasons for blogging.It helped me put things into perspective regarding my blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm THRILLED to hear that. Honestly, I probably should have included something in my reasons about wanting to make a difference. Really comments and emails saying I've helped someone even in the smallest way, make a huge difference when I hit a slump and wonder if its worth it!!!!

      Delete
  7. You and I are totally on the same page. I blog for many of the same reasons and I agree that blogging has given me opportunities I never would have seen otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE being able to share things with other people because of my blog. When I got the private party at Willis Tower and was able to bring friends and family for something totally new to them...so makes all the work worth it.

      Delete
  8. Lifestyle is the exact right reason to do something! You have a passion to make your family experiences better and that's awesome. Keep on doing what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this. Yes! I believe blogging is a great benefit to our family, too! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's what I say when people ask me, but it's also because I would never keep a baby book or journal and this is what I hope we will look back on one day to remember what this time in our lives was like. I already find myself going back to figure out when one of the boys was sick or what year we painted the house, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are headed in the right direction by choosing to only write about products you can support. And if you are helping your family by blogging, good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad to hear you are accomplishing your goals as a blogger. I to want to make things better for my family and hopefully my blogging will do that one day.
    Wow, now that's amazing you met Oprah.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wrote my post as to why I blog here: http://happilyblended.com/2012/09/blog-goals/

    I think you do a great job and I do have to admit that blogging makes my family better because it helps clear my mind and it helps remind me to stay positive and focus on all that I have to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment!!