Nov 28, 2008

Then Sings My Soul Saturday



Ah yes, the 80s. I apologize if anyone who reads my blog is too young to know this song but I loved it then and I heard it on the radio today, and guess what I still love it. But TODAY it spoke to me. OK, granted it's not as profound as some of the amazing Christian music I also love. But today it hit me what this song really means. And in case you ever misheard the words as I did when I was young, it does NOT say anything about taking "your pants off." Ok, now you need to go listen to it to figure out what the heck I'm talking about...I'll wait..... Back with me ok. Yeah so maybe I had a hearing problem from all the ear infections I had when I was young but I spent quite awhile convinced that was the line. But anyway, in case you too have hearing issues it says" Take your passion, and make it happen." THIS is what hit me today. As much as I have enjoyed my job, my 8-4 M-F get a paycheck job for the last...oh man...10ish years, its certainly not my PASSION. It's flexible and great for me as a mom but not a passion. And it just so happens that things they are a changin' at that job...I'm not totally sure what that will mean for me. But I let that stew on the back burner not obsessing about it, while I AM actually taking my passion and doing my very best to make it happen. And as much as I've never been one to have a ton of faith in myself, it really is starting to feel like it is happening. And (corny pun alert) "OH what a feeling" it is.

So as much as I don't want to sound preachy, I DO want to encourage anyone who doesn't feel like they've found their "thing." It's never too late. Trust me I thought I'd have it all figured out, go to college to do just exactly what I wanted etc etc etc. But things didn't exactly work that way. I never dreamed how hard it would be to be away from my kids everyday all day. And I never dreamed that something I loved could actually be a job. Part of me wishes I would have been able to be a little less "practical" way back when, when I thought getting a business degree was the only smart way to go (mind you 13 years later, I'm still not a college graduate) and done something that seemed to risky. But then I know my life would have traveled a different path. And despite this paths many obstacles, I wouldn't have it any other way. I know that THIS is the time God has chosen for me to take this leap. And only he knows where I will land. But I know that whether it turns out to be my new "real" job or just a part thing, or nothing really at all, I will have grown from it and hopefully I will have impacted some others along the way.

3 comments:

  1. Nice thoughts...and I used to love that song too. My husband just watched on VH1 the top 100 songs of the 80's. Many, I can't believe how mnay I remembered. Good era for music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post!

    Ha! ROFL that you thought it said take your pants off!!!

    I have a passion for dancing and that movie always brings back such fond memories for me. I was classically trained and enjoyed every minute of the sweat and tears along the way. God used that to teach me serious discipline. I still love to dance! Not as I once did, but my children love to watch me dance for them!

    One day God, I believe will use my passion for teens in a way that I know will be all for His glory! He gave it to me when I was a little girl and it has never gone away - I get to use it for my monthly bible study and feel that is just a prep for what is to come.

    I'm all for you seeking God's guidance to leap and let Him catch you in the fall no matter where it lands knowing He has the best plans for your talents!

    God bless!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does it date me if I can sing all the songs from that show?

    I think it is great that you are wanting to work on your passion and I happen to believe that God sometimes lets our passions be our jobs. Good for you for trying no matter how old you are or what other commitments hold you back. Your family will love it that you are doing what God will have you to do.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment!!