Mar 18, 2011

Museum Of Science and Industry: Body Worlds Exhibit Review

The Body Worlds exhibit, currently at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, is something not to be missed.  Honestly, when I originally received an invite to the evening premier of the exhibit I wasn't sure I could stomach such an exhibit.  I am after all, known for watching my favorite TV show, Grey's Anatomy, through my fingers or even singing so I can't hear the bone saws until my husband lets me know its safe again.  Fake blood makes me sick to my stomach.  But I figured if nothing else it was a night of fun downtown and I could cut out if I wasn't feeling it.  I did NOT cut out.  I was absolutely intrigued by the whole thing.  The process by which they are preserved leaves them looking bloody or gross but fascinating and educational!!

There is an area of the exhibit that may be harder for more sensitive people to view.  There are preserved fetuses and preterm babies (I'm sorry I refuse to call those late term babies anything but babies).  This may be especially hard for those who've dealt with losing a baby.  But it can be walked right through.

The 14,000-square-foot exhibit takes guests on a journey of self discovery with more than 200 real human specimens, including 20 whole-body plastinates, preserved through plastination—the remarkable scientific process invented and perfected by Dr. Gunther von Hagens.
See the body living through time as it changes, grows, matures, peaks and finally wanes. In addition to the focus on human development, the extraordinary real specimens demonstrate the complexity, resilience and vulnerability of the human body through anatomical studies of the body in distress, disease and optimal health.










It had been YEARS since I'd been to the Museum of Science and Industry and we got to play just a little bit in some of the surrounding exhibits too and now I'm really excited to take my entire family back to visit the museum!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment!!