Jun 13, 2011

The Closer: The Complete Sixth Season on DVD; Power and Femininity

Having grown up with a father who was a police officer, it's not hard to see that despite advancements for women in the workplace, police work is still a predominantly man's world.  In a profession where being able to carry yourself with real authrority is a MUST, it can be really hard 
to display authority while maintaining your femininity. 
While men in power are often considered sexy, woman who wield power are typically labeled with the 'b' word.  Although I work in a male dominated field (and am the only female in a small company) I don't really have that much power so I don't think I get that much resentment either.
In The Closer, Kira Sedgewick plays the boss to many man who resent her being in this position, as you can clearly see from the video clip below.  I think her character consistently handles herself well an is able to maintain her femininity while being an affective leader.  I love the way carries herself, she regularly poses her 'orders' in the form of questions to get to the point.  And I think she dresses the part.  I love that we have progressed so that women no longer have to live in a navy blue pants suit to be respected as influential leaders.  I think regardless of your position in politics you have to give people like Michelle Obama credit in this area too.  She always looks beautiful even when bucking the previously accepted norms but still portrays the image of a very strong and powerful woman.




I have been hired by Warner Bros. WBWord division to promote The Closer: The Complete Sixth Season on DVD.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment!!