Jun 27, 2012

Host a Summer Olympics Watch Party with #HormelFamily


 
Have you caught the Olympic fever yet?  I have always enjoyed many of the events but as i grow older I seem to grow a larger appreciation for the effort and dedication that begins so long before the Olympics.  Having never been an athlete I don't think I'll ever really understand how an athelete must feel when the even qualify for the Olympics. But last night I watched the Olympic swimming trials.  While I'm not a swimmer, I find it a fun sport to watch. Its uncomplicated and fast paced.  

As a mom of an athlete with ADHD, Michale Phelps automatically holds a special spot in my heart and watched him fly though the preliminary for one event to make the finals.  But I also watched some first time Olympic qualifiers as well.  For me, watching that moment, I am struck with the thought of how their parents must feel. I literally get teary eyd watching the families in the stands in their matching shirts.  

Before watching the trails last night (from my DVR) I attended my 9 year old's baseball game where myself and a friend were told we were making more noise than the two sets of bleachers combined. I can't help myself I get into and I am so proud of those young men's effort.  They won 17-7 but more importantly they played their hearts out.  The joy I felt watching them leap all over my friend's son after he hit a home run, or watching the team jump all over the dug out when over throws lead to multiple RBI's was overwhelming. There is no greater joy that watching someone you love succeed at something they have a passion for!

So I will be watching the 2012 Summer Olympics in London and cheering for not only the many athletes but also for their entire families!  Will you be watching? 

Watching is always more fun with friends so consider putting together a viewing parting with some tips from Hormel:
  • Decorating for an Olympic watch party is simple. Deck your place out in red, white, and blue and show your patriotism. If you feel a special connection or tie to another country, share your pride with your guests by displaying that country’s flag above the couch or on the walls.
  •  During the commercial breaks (which we all know there will be quite a few of) run out to the front yard and enjoy the beautiful summer weather! Form teams and make up a series of Olympic Games of your own. Inside, quiz your guests with trivia from the past Olympic Games! 
  •  A perfect meat product to try out is Hormel® Natural Choice® new chicken and smoked sausages! Chicken sausages are available in apple gouda, spinach asiago and jalapeno cheddar varieties, and smoked sausages are available in original, beef and turkey varieties. 

Sticking with the Olympic theme of your party, this summer, Olympian and health activist Dominique Dawes is partnering with Hormel Foods and the Hormel® Natural Choice® brand to provide parents with the nutrition, fitness and motivational tools to support their children! Dawes was a top Olympic gymnast who competed and medaled in three consecutive Olympic Games and is the only African-American gymnast to win an Olympic gold medal! Check out more about the program here: http://www.hormelnatural.com/about/dominique-dawes/

Disclosure: In the spirit of full-disclosure, I’ve partnered with Hormel Foods as part of the Hormel Foods Extended Family Blogger Program. Throughout the year I’ll be receiving product, coupons, giveaways and promotions. However, no payment was given or expected for posting about the program, and as always, all opinions given here are fully my own

1 comment:

Thanks for leaving me a comment!!