Health care and health insurance. It's a hot button issue in our country. But how many of us really know what we have, what options are out there and how we can better use these resources to best suite us? As moms we are often busy and can rationalize that we don't have time to research our own benefits unless we have an urgent need. But learning about all the services available through your health plan provider can help save you money and learn about resources you weren't aware you have access to. To help you better understand the benefits available, Cigna wants to bring women into a "Mid-Year Check In" conversation about successfully managing your healthcare plan, starting with five important health plan management tips.
We all strive to be smart about our spending. As healthcare costs continue to rise, here are a few things you can do to make sure your health plan is working hard for you and your family.
PLAN. We’re often great at budgeting household expenses like our mortgage, groceries or vacations, but many of us don’t think about budgeting for healthcare expenses. The more you can anticipate upcoming costs, the more you can save while still receiving the high quality care you expect for you and your family.
- Spend one night reviewing your healthcare expenses. Know what you have spent to-date and think about what your future costs may be. For example, will anyone need glasses or braces next year? Knowing what your current spending habits are and what your future costs may be, can help you budget accordingly.
PREPARE. There are a few things that you can do now to ensure you’re prepared to make quick decisions when the time is appropriate.
- Know where the nearest urgent care facility is. These facilities provide the same quality of care for non-emergent conditions as an ER, but have shorter wait times and are typically less expensive.
- Check your health plan to see if they offer a 24/7 nurse hotline to provide you with health-related advice around the clock.
- Keep the phone number handy for your local pharmacy. Prescriptions can be called in quickly, right from the doctor’s office, saving time.
PREVENT. Taking advantage of preventative services offered by your health plan could mean the difference between life and early death.
- Visit your doctor each year for a checkup – make the appointment on a memorable day so you remember each year to go! Also, take advantage of the free services offered, such as access to dieticians and nurses, who can answer questions and provide advice.
When it comes to keeping you and your family healthy there’s so much more to talk about. Join the conversation at YouTube.com/Cigna.
As a family of five health care can be a scary topic. I can honestly say I have never sat down and written out our expenses. Thankfully I have decent medical coverage for the boys and annual check ups are fully covered. But then there's vision. We ALL wear glasses. And dental. I can't lie, this is one I often let slip. And now the boys are getting to the age where I have to consider where money will come from for braces. My kids were lucky enough to get my height...but also my narrow palate and under bite. I will be taking the next month or so to do some research into this topic so I can accurately plan a budget for next year for our expenses.
Another way to control your healthcare costs is to stay on top of your health. Check out some great preventative care tips here:
For many other practical suggestions to improve your health, check out Cigna's youTube channel for more videos like this one on healthier grocery shopping. (One that has really helped me a ton this year.)
I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Cigna. I received a promotional item as a thank-you for participating.