May 16, 2011

Dreams of Summer Vacations

It's hard to believe summer is really just around the corner.  Although we've never taken an actual summer vacation as a family it is a time that makes me dream of the trips I would like to be able to take with them someday.
Thankfully for our family we have plenty of things to do very close to home as we're conveniently located right between Chicago and Milwaukee.  But I hope to begin to be able to get out and explore the world more with my kids as they are getting a little older.  Although a return trip to Orlando is definitely on our list, there are plenty of place that I've never been that I'd love to discover with my own kids.  I would love to check out New York and the north eastern states, maybe even get to Niagara Falls.  And I am dying to get to Denver and see more than just the inside of the airport.  And while I was already there, briefly, I know my boys really want to go to the Grand Canyon someday.  But I'm not sure I'm ready for my little adventurers and those light cliffs just yet. 

According to family travel expert Emily Kaufman, “The Travel Mom,” families are starting to think past the backyard “staycation” and are rediscovering the freedom of the open road. Kaufman shares the following tips for a fun and safe family road trip:
  • Create a boredom bag. Convert a hanging travel cosmetic case into a case full of fun and hang it from the seat back in front of the kids’ seats. Consider creating fun works of art with Twizzlers
    Pull ‘n’ Peel
    Candy before snacking on them!
  • Take your trip “online.” From GPS systems to phone applications, trips are no longer a navigation nightmare.
  • Think through the snacks you pack. Avoid packing snacks that are easy to spill like juice boxes or snacks that melt. Try plastic bottles with sports tops and bring along TwizzlersCandy or Twizzlers Nibs Candy – they are easy to share and don’t melt, making them the perfect car ride treat.
And someday, I WILL make it to Hawaii, even if I have to hide in someone's luggage to get there.



Disclosure: I wrote this post as part of a Mom Blogger Club campaign and am eligible to receive a small prize package from Twizzlers.

2 comments:

  1. Knowing the roads and locations of places you're going to go is really helpful, too. And checking the HOURS of the places you'll visit is KEY. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the boredom bag idea!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment!!