Mar 30, 2012

Getting Healthy Together with Together Counts

As you know I've been putting some serious focus this year on living healthier. And I have to admit it feels pretty darn good when friends point out that they can see the difference in the way I look but honestly the more important reason for me is to set a healthy example for my kids.  Yes, my boys are super skinny and the oldest is slightly sports obsessed.  But if all they see from me is examples of how not to eat healthy or move enough, who knows how long things will stay that way.  When I started I was pretty much strictly going to the gym, partly because its crazy cold in IL in January and partly because I didn't know what else to do.  But now as I'm feeling better and really enjoying getting moving, I love making it a family activity.  That's why I was thrilled when I was asked to share with you Together Counts because they are all about encouraging families (and other groups) to work on calorie balance together...you know making sure that you're burning those calories you're eating!



Together Counts is a nationwide program inspiring active and healthy living. The principle behind our program is Energy Balance, which means balancing the calories we consume with the calories we burn. Calories in, calories out. It’s that simple. Together Counts was started by The Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation, a CEO–led organization, that is a national, multi-year effort designed to help reduce obesity–especially childhood obesity–by 2015.
It’s a first-of-its kind coalition that brings together more than 160 retailers, food and beverage manufacturers, restaurants, sporting goods and insurance companies, trade associations and non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and professional sports organizations.

The Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation promotes ways to help people achieve a healthy weight through energy balance–calories in and calories out. It focuses on three critical areas–the marketplace, the workplace and schools.


To celebrate their first birthday at Together Counts they are holding a Sweepstakes and giving away prize packs of Visa gift cards and George Foreman grills on their Facebook page.  Visit here to enter.

I have found a new love of getting out and playing basketball with my older boys instead of just watching them.  It makes us all move more.  I've also started walking the bike trail by our house while my oldest son rides his bike or I pull the youngest in a wagon.  When its not so nice outside I like getting us all off the couch by playing Wii.  The dancing or sports games can get you moving and be a ton of family fun!

 If you're looking to do more to eat healthy and get moving as a family visit Together Counts online and take the pledge (you decided how many meals you'll pledge to eat together and how many activities you'll do together).  And check out Together Counts on Twitter for regular ideas on how to reach your goals!

 And join me and Together Counts as they celebrate Child Nutrition Month at a Twitter party on 4/3 from 8-9 PM EST. Prizes include $50 same-as-cash gift cards. For more information and to RSVP, visit here


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment!!